Roaster Oven Cooking Tips
Are Roaster Ovens Just a Big Turkey Oven?
Roaster ovens can definetely be used as more than just a big turkey oven. These portable, countertop ovens are absolutely wonderful for cooking your holiday turkey, but they can do so much more. Actually, you can cook just about anything in these that you can in a conventional oven, except broiled foods.
Use these ovens to:
- Steam vegetables-Steaming will bring out the fresh flavor, color and texture of each vegetable. Nutrients are retained when vegetables are steamed.
- Steam fish- Steaming will retain the delicate texture and flavor of fish and seafood.
- Roast- Roast beef, lamb, pork, veal, poultry and vegetables.
- Bake- Bake potatoes, sweet potatoes, squash, apples, desserts, and breads
- Poach- Poaching is a way of gently simmering foods such as fish steaks, whole fish, chicken breast, fresh sausages, and fresh pasta. There is no fat added during cooking.
- Slow-Cook - This setting allows slow simmering for several hours. This is great for turning the less expensive, tougher cuts of meat into tender, flavorful dishes.
You are probably asking yourself if you would use a roaster oven to cook foods at other times besides holidays. Yes indeed, you'll find that these versatile cookers can be used for preparing foods for several occasions.
- Use to cook meals in the summer as they do not heat up the kitchen like a regular oven.
- Because they are portable, they are great to take along in a camper, or to take food to a pot luck dinner, church dinner, or to a school concession stand.
- The Nesco roaster oven and Hamilton Beach roaster oven also have optional buffet servers which are perfect for entertaining.
- The larger size ovens, such as the 18 quart and 22 quart size, are wonderful for preparing a large turkey, ham or roast for the holidays or large family gatherings.
- The smaller ovens, such as the 5 quart and 6 quart size, are perfect for everyday use for a couple or a small family.
- The midsize, 12 quart oven, can be used for larger families or for preparing extra food for leftovers or for putting in the freezer.
Here are some examples of foods that can be easily prepared.
- Chili, soups, stews, chowders.
- Desserts such as cheesecake, cakes, cinnamon rolls, gingerbread, apple crisp, pumpkin bread, rice pudding, cookies, pies, granola, or shortcake.
- Casseroles, lasagna, potatoes, enchiladas.
- Roasts, baby back ribs, meatloaf, prime rib, Swiss steak, meatballs.
- Muffins and breads.
In conclusion, you can see that a roaster oven can be a great asset in the kitchen, from everyday cooking to holiday cooking and entertaining. They are versatile and can do so much more than just serving as a turkey oven. Roaster ovens are available in several sizes that can accomodate individuals, couples, small or large families.